Monday, August 04, 2008

we've been bunk'd...

Last week the kids and I took a trip to Ikea to buy bunkbeds. Ikea is one of those places I try forever to avoid and then... boom... my house looks like I won an Ikea sweepstakes.



But it was time for bunkbeds. Samuel wanted a place for his friends and cousins to sleepover and Tali has been sleeping in a toddler bed since she was two and because she continues to grow taller and is practically a kindergartner, we've decided that it's time for her to be able to sleep outside the fetal position her toddler bed requires. (Okay, it's not really that bad...) But Ikea is cheap and so are we, so off we went.



But the problem is that because the kids all have very small bedrooms (we had to knock out the closet in Samuel's room in order to get a twin bed in there and well, two twin beds just don't fit in the girls' room, hence the toddler bed), in order to let Tali straighten her legs, Naomi had to move from her crib.

It's a little soon for her to be making this transition, since she just turned two in June. So I thought we'd just leave the crib in the corner of the room when we started building the beds today, and then we'd move her to the bed gradually.

Except that there was no room to leave the crib. So Boaz broke it down and said in the kindest way possible, "Get over it--there will be no more cribs in this house."

"Forget the emotional part,"I said, panicked. "Who's going to chase that girl down for naps and bedtime? There is NO way she's going to stay in her bed."

"It's not going to be a problem," he said. "I've got it covered."
I'm pretty sure I heard Naomi cackling "Waaa haaa haaaa!" from the bedroom at this point.

At naptime she wouldn't lay down in the bed and everytime I thought she'd relax and go to sleep, I'd hear her little pitter patters down the hallway. Finally, I called Boaz in to make good on his deal.
Somehow he got her to sleep. And I don't think he drugged her, either.

Same thing tonight. I tucked her in with her usual bedtime routine and she just wouldn't lie down. I called Boaz in and she flattened herself immediately. Within fifteen minutes, he was back downstairs.

I could wonder what I'm doing wrong, but for now, I'm enjoying having him be the one to get her to sleep.

I wonder which one of us will regret this decision first?

In the meantime, the bunkbeds are cute and the kids love their rooms.

5 comments:

Becky said...

So cute! I love the title!

Are we still putting N in a pack n play while she's here? Tough love honey, welcome to Madison!

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think of the new "Stepbrothers" movie commercials when I see the bunk beds. Have you seen it? I hope they don't come crashing down! :)

Shannon said...

Oh! We're just beginning to talk about moving Eva to a "big girl" bed--she's so tall! I'm worried about getting her to stay in it, though, so I'll just watch you and take notes :)

Let me know if you ever find out what Boaz's secret is.

Anonymous said...

yay! the bunks look great. and you go naomi! way to be the third child!

amy said...

oh no, amy... i don't even want to think about cheap ikea bunkbeds crashing down! eeeek!