Thursday, July 03, 2008

summertime living is not easy... yet.

Okay, so day two of my summer vacation and things are not mellow in vacation land. I think there are few reasons for this:

1. I've mentioned before that I'm not great with change, and well, it's true. For as long as I can remember, the first few days of vacation is spent with me thinking, "This is great, I'm going to be so relaxed, I'm going to relax, I'm going to relax, why don't I feel relaxed, DAMNIT, WHY AM I NOT RELAXED YET? (Oh right... I'm also quite impatient.) So I knew I wouldn't feel too relaxed just yet, but...

2. Too much going on. Yesterday I took Naomi to her two year well-baby visit where her doctor proclaimed her incredibly healthy and she did not cry when she received her vaccination in her well-endowed chubby.

Then I picked up my two lovely nephews, and then picked up Samuel from the camp bus where he actually expressed excitment over seeing us, then we went to lunch where I promptly lost my nephew, Asher (Naomi noticed first), found him quickly, then as a group, we managed to spill two large drinks twice and fall out of our chairs (not me, the kids) at least three times. I ate my lunch in the car on the way home where my children proceeded to fight with each other, with their cousins, and with me.

3. I'm crabby. I think it's because I'm on vacation. And because I haven't run all week. Because I'm on vacation. I'm not doing this right.

So today I sat down with Tali and Samuel and we made a list of all the things we should do this summer. Included were things like:

  1. Teach Tali to swim.
  2. Read ten books
  3. Redecorate the kids' bedrooms
  4. Clean out garage
  5. Rebuild and paint the front porch
  6. Paint the hallway
  7. Paint the girls' room (have the kids do it)
  8. End world hunger, too, if we have time.

Obviously, most of these things won't happen. I think the kids' really knew it when we were writing the list. But it made me feel more productive and organized. And really, who doesn't want their vacation to be productive and organized?

Sigh... I will try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You'll get it.

:)