Tuesday, July 01, 2008

goodbye circles make us all happy...

Yesterday was my last day on my project and the beginning of the first real summer vacation I've had since I was in school. Having just experienced her last day of preschool, Tali was super excited for me.

"Mommy, are you so excited that it's your last day of work today?" she asks, practically jumping up and down. "The last day is the best."

"I am excited," I tell her. "Why do you think the last day is the best?"

"Because you get treats and then everyone does a goodbye circle for you. Remember we had cupcakes for my goodbye circle?" She looks at me expectantly. "So, are your friends going to have a goodbye circle for you?"

"Um," I smile. "I don't think so."

Talia is shocked. "What? How can you leave without a goodbye circle?"

"Grown-ups don't really have goodbye circles at work."

"Even for their friends?" she practically whispers. And then, "So that means they probably won't sing the goodbye song for you either, right?"

"Probably not, Sweetie. It's okay, though. I'm not sad about it." I tell her. She doesn't look satisfied.

"I'm going to sing the goodbye song for you then. You can't have a last day without a goodbye song." And then she belts out, very proudly:

Goodbye Mommy
Goodbye Mommy
Goodbye Mommy, we hope to see you again.

She has made my day. Maybe everyone should have a goodbye song. Because my full day of meetings went much, much better when every once in a while I pictured my colleagues seated criss-cross-applesauce in a circle and singing me the Goodbye Song.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Awww! Criss cross applesauce. That Tali is too much.

Want me to sing for you?

Unknown said...

that is just perfect.