Sunday, February 08, 2009

a birthday letter to tali...

Dear Tali,

Last week we celebrated your sixth birthday and I couldn't be prouder of you. I've known from the very beginning that you were destined to be incredibly special. After hanging out two weeks past your due date, you flew into this world not even ten minutes after your daddy and I arrived at the hospital and then stole our hearts with your perfect pink skin, heart-shaped mouth, and your lovely rosy features. It was so like you to announce your presence with such drama and then charm everyone with your beauty and spirit.

Maybe it has something to do with your February birthday and the fact that four of the people dearest to me have the same astrological sign as you. Maybe it's a good omen to be born in the second half of winter when everyone is looking for the first signs of the cherry blossoms of spring.

But regardless of signs, Tali, you just make me so happy.


During this hard winter when we're all dealing with so much and much of my attention is turned outward toward our friends in difficult times, you truly show me what life is about. Your incredible excitement over a minutely loose tooth, or over being able to draw a perfectly symmetrical heart, or the way you write love letters to your friends and family for no other reason than you need to share how you feel makes makes me remember how important and significant the little things are. You make me remember what matters.

This year you had your first big class birthday party and even though there was a lot of noise and chaos, I was proud to see you both enjoy yourself immensely and be such a gracious host. You hugged your friends in thanks while opening presents and made sure everyone was having fun. And then before you even started playing with your gifts, you started writing your thank you notes--carefully forming your letters and planning what you were going to write, even though you literally have never written a letter before. Your careful patience and attention span would seriously make Martha Stewart beam with pride.

And I'm thrilled to be able to see how you grow this year. I can see how excited you get about trying new things. You've taken to skiing so quickly and I love to see you push off and make your way down the hill with that look of determination and thrill with the speed. And I can see that you're so anxious to start reading fluently and I can't wait for that "click" when you actually forget that you're sounding out words and are just ingesting them instead.

And quite possibly, you are one of the warmest people I have ever met. Not only do you prefer to sleep practically under me when you sneak stealthily into my bed at night, but your affection is contagious. I can't help but snuggle and hug and buss you when decide that's what you want.

So happy birthday, my girl. You are a complete and total joy and I'm so grateful to be your mama and be a part of your life.

I love you always,
Mama


2 comments:

Becky said...

Happy Birthday Tali!!!

To the cutest prettiest sweetest 6 year old I know.

LOVE YOU!
Auntie Cousin Becky

Shannon said...

Aw, so lovely.

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!