Thursday, February 12, 2009

after 8:30 pm, I'm outnumbered...

Samuel and I are in the kitchen going over his spelling words when Boaz comes home from his basketball game. The girls are asleep and the house is very quiet. He goes to the fridge, grabs some leftover chicken and after eating a few bites, takes a sip of my ice water.

I gasp.

The thing is, I have a very weird thing going on about ice water. I drink it all the time and absolutely cannot go to bed unless I have a glass of it next to me. And it can't just be water. It needs ice. And it has to be very, very cold.

But the other weird thing is that nobody is allowed to drink from my glass. Not even my kids. And I'm not sure why. I don't have issues with people taking bites from my plate, sharing forks or spoons, or even having a sip of my beer. But it's the water--you cannot sip from my glass and especially not if you're eating chicken.

"Seriously," I say to Boaz, "how many times have I told you that I have a thing about my water?"

"Oops, sorry," he says and pushes the glass back toward me. "It's just that it's so good."

"Yes," I say, "but now I have to get a new one. Have I not been saying this for at least the past ten years?" (Yes, I know I sound like a raging witch--it's the water...)

"Are you talking to me?" Samuel pipes up from the table where he's doing his homework.

"No, Sweets," I tell him. "I'm talking to your daddy who doesn't listen to me."

"Oh," says Samuel. "Because it sounds like you're talking to me. Like when I don't listen to you."

"Hmmm, maybe it's because I'm telling him the same thing over and over again."

Samuel laughs. "Hey Daddy, welcome to the club. She always talks like this to me when I'm thinking about something that she's not talking about." He goes over and pats his dad on the shoulder. "It's good to have you here."

"Hey, thanks Buddy," says Boaz, grinning at me. "It's nice to belong to a club where people understand you."

"Ah," says Samuel. "The Club." Boaz reaches for the water and takes a big long gulp as I reach for a new glass. "It's good at night when there are more boys up than girls."

Sigh... 6:30am will be here faster than you think, Boys!

3 comments:

Becky said...

This is why you guys need me as a Second Wife.
Bo can drink all my water but I'll go to bed with the other girls. At 8:30.

Ari said...

that made me laugh out loud. now if only you were asleep already, the whole situation could have been avoided.

Ari said...

and i'm not ari, but how the hell do i change that on here??