Saturday, August 15, 2009

sick nunchuck skills...

My latest move in this whole jobsearch endeavor has been to expand my online search and subscribe to TheLadders jobsite. It's actually been an interesting experience, though not completely unlike what I think dating sites might be like (I can't believe I'm too old to have ever experienced the joy of online dating). I get access to apply for choice jobs and can even see how many recruiters are looking at my resume.

Which got me looking at my resume. Again.

I'm a total resume updater. Everytime I do something new, I add it to my resume. But it's been a long time since I've really thought about the theory or resume building. Which is apparent from the comments from my Resume Expert in the critique he wrote about my resume (another perk of TheLadders.com). And the fact that he started out this way, sort of sets the stage:

"Before you read the critique, I’d like to give you a fair warning that my comments at times can seem blunt. "

However, to be fair, he did offer some very sound advice that resulted in my adding a new summary and highlights section to my resume, since those are fairly important because recruiters rarely spend more than 45 seconds perusing a resume.

But after many hours of working on said resume, and maybe one too many glasses of Nobilo, I wondered if if were true that recruiters only have 45 seconds, and if so, would they notice if I slipped in some interesting factoids into my resume?


SUMMARY:
Results-oriented marketing and content professional with experience in managing campaigns and projects that continuously exceed their goals. Strategic thinker known for innovation, creativity, and on-time delivery. Recognized for excellent communication, killer Bejeweled scores, and people skills, client satisfaction, and strategic marketing development.

AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
· Digital/Online Marketing
· B2B and Relationship Marketing
· Campaign Management

· Sick Nunchuck Skills
· Client Relations and Development
· Copywriting and Editing


Hmm... It takes all kinds of well-rounded multi-taskers...

1 comment:

Marketing Mama said...

I totally love it! You know, I had always been against the "skills resume" format, but for kicks tried it out for my last round of jobs and it got me hired. Strange but true. Let me know if you are interested, I'll e-mail it to you.